10.4.05

wanted: young global leaders

When a friend called from Davos last week and said he planned to nominate me for a Young Global Leader, I sure felt one most flattered guy on earth!

He emailed this link for me to learn more from, and asked me to send a bio. Later that same day at home I found myself once again a boy, as full of curiousity as when I was about to unfold a first "secret." To say that I have no interest in it would be to "divide ice from snow", both to him and myself; in fact I began a brief discussion with my own conscience what I'd done to deserve such nomination when, if I may shamelessly so claim, the good things I ever did to my neighborhood were very few and far between?

Minutes of reading of the YGL requirements and browsing the profiles of members already gave me trepidation...it says: you should be under 40; have substantial leadership experience; have already clearly demonstrated a commitment to serving society; are willing to devote their energy and expertise for five years to tackle the most critical issues facing the world....etc.

I am under 40, and yes I am willing to devote energy and expertise for as ling as it takes to tackle the most critical issues... But willingness and ability are two different things, and when it regards a global effort, something I can't fathom. Besides, another look at the existing member profiles made me feel that my nomination would be a joke; some of them are ministers, former ministers, CEOs, presidents! The jurries would throw away my CV the moment they lay eyes on it.

If it happened, it wouldn't bother me. But the thought that this good American friend of mine would probably be ashamed of himself for having picked me up in the first place was rather disturbing. It might as well mean he did not know me at all. All this time he's only been accurate about two things: one, I am under 40. Two, I wish to see the world a better place (but then name any father who doesn't?). Now I feel peculiarly sorry. But, boy, how I wish to see someone, an Indonesian truly qualified, join it and work for solutions...